RMS is committed to protecting data subjects (company’s directors, employees, officers and all the third parties i.e., customers, consultants, suppliers, distributors, subcontractors that we engage with in business dealings) privacy in accordance with Article 31 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and the Data Protection Act, 2019 and all other subsidiary legislations.
With this data privacy statement, RMS explains the personal data collected, how it is processed and for what purpose.
For the purposes of this data privacy statement,
- ‘’You’’ refers to our customers, consultants, suppliers, distributors or any individual interacting with us.
- “RMS”,“Us” , “We” or “Our/s” refers to Royal Media Services and its subsidiary companies as may be specified time to time.
- Personal Data refers to any information of an identified or identifiable individual.
- Data Processing or Processing refers to any means of collecting, usage or handling of personal data.
3. Collection of Information
a) While interacting with us on our platforms or physical location, we collect and store data about you. This information is for specified and legitimate purposes only.
This data may include, but not limited to;
- Identification Number
- Phone Number
- Data of Birth
- Email address
- IP address
b) We also collect personal data with your knowledge and consent when you do any of the following (the list is not exhaustive);
- Register for any of our product or service i.e., Citizen Digital, YouTube channel, social media accounts etc.
- Give responses to any of our online or on ground surveys, promotions, incentive based competitions or any other offers.
- Subscribe to any of our product or service, SMS or USSD codes.
- Access, visit or use any of our website or third-party’s.
- Attend or register for any event, physical or virtual organized by RMS or its affiliates.
- Visit our premises.
- Make any inquiries via phone, text, email, social media handles etc.
- Surveillance recordings using CCTVs installed within the company premises.
- Interact with us as an agent, supplier, merchant or dealer as stated in this statement.
- Call or send us SMSs.
4. Use of Personal Data
RMS may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Complying with legal or regulatory requirements by our legal team in any legal proceedings.
- Processing or improving products and services that you have subscribe to or from third parties.
- To contact you by email, calls , SMS or any other form of communication in response to your inquiries, product and service updates or notifying you of any relevant information.
- To provide you with news and updates and general information about our product and services.
- For research, product developments and other related statistical purposes.
- To provide aggregated data (individual data that may not identify you), to third parties for scientific and research purposes.
5. Personal Data Retention
RMS will retain your personal data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy statement. We will also retain and use your personal data to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable Kenyan laws), resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements.
RMS will also retain usage data for internal data analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period, except when this data is used to strengthen the security, prevent fraud, or to improve the functionality of our website, or where we are legally obligated to retain this data for a longer period.
6. Personal Data Disclosure
Incase of any request to disclose personal data, RMS shall review the request in accordance with the applicable law and regulation to determine whether to disclose the requested information or decline request.
Disclosure of personal data can be done to;
a) Regulatory authorities, law enforcement agencies, courts and statutory authorities in accordance to the applicable lawful mandate.
b) Our subsidiaries, associates, partners, developers who deliver RMS product and services.
c) Research partners.
d) Any other legitimate party as deemed necessary by RMS.
7. Direct Marketing
We may require you to opt in or give any other form of consent before we send any marketing message to you. RMS provides you with an option of opting out from our marketing messages by writing to us or unchecking relevant boxes on the websites or our mobile applications or contacting us.
Opting out will not apply to data provided to us as a result of a taken-up product or service.
Whenever you visit our website, we may store information using cookies to enable us better your experience whenever you visit our website. The data gathered is non-personal such as IP address, pages visited, date and time and successful delivery of pages.
We may also provide hyperlinks to other websites or locations on the internet linked to third parties not affiliated or related to us to enhance user experience and are for information purposes only.
Whenever you click a hyperlink, you leave RMS website and you will be subject to terms and conditions, policies and practices of the third party that you choose to visit.
9. Personal Data Security
RMS values the security of your data hence we have put in place technical and operational measures to safeguard the integrity and confidentiality of your data. Such controls are; physical and environmental security, access controls, information classification, encryption and monitoring and compliance.
10. Transfer of your personal data
Personal data is processed at the company’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. In cases of data transfer, RMS will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is transferred securely and in accordance with this privacy statement and no transfer of personal data will take place to any organization or Country unless there are adequate safeguards and measure in place to protect your privacy.
11. Data Subject Rights
You have rights under the applicable laws in relation to your personal data as highlighted below;
a) Right of access: You have the right to request information on which personal Data relating to you has been collected, stored and for what purpose.
b) Right to rectification: You have the right to correct or supplement your personal data if you deem it incorrect or incomplete.
c) Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data at any time. We may only continue to process your data if we have a legitimate or legal reason to do so.
d) Right to erasure: You have the right to request your data to be deleted if the processing of such data has no legal basis, or if the legal basis has ceased to apply. The same applies if the purpose behind the data processing has lapsed or ceased to be applicable for other reasons.
e) Right to object: You have the right to object to your data being processed and this must be considered if the protection of your interest takes precedence over the interests of RMS owing to the personal situation. This does not apply if a legal provision requires that the Personal Data is to be processed.
f) Right to data portability: You have the right to request that the personal data held by RMS be provided to you and be made available in an easily readable format.
12. Contact us
You can direct your privacy inquiries, including any requests to exercise your data protection rights, to us through our Data protection officer:
Company Location: Maalim Juma Road, Off Dennis Pritt Road
P.O. Box 7468 – 00300 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 719 060 000, +254 732 169 000
13. Changes to this privacy statement
RMS will amend or modify this privacy statement from time to time and reserves the rights to do so. The updated version of this statement is accessible on the website www.royalmedia.co.ke.