NEWS EDITOR (RADIO)
Royal Media Services Limited wishes to recruit a suitably qualified individual to the position of a News Editor (Radio).
Key roles & responsibilities
- Create and implement news strategies for all the radio platforms under Royal Media Services Ltd.
- Manage the news desk.
- Make judgements on matters of greater editorial sensitivity, prioritise and interpret key stories of the day.
- To provide editorial and creative leadership for all staff working in the radio news department (including producers, presenters, correspondents, reporters, digital team).
- Develop the programme’s editorial offering, maintaining and building high standards of story-telling and authoritative analysis.
- Provide a vision and strategic direction for the team, setting challenging objectives and monitoring performance.
- Manage and generate content for Citizen Digital platforms.
- Maintain close and effective contact with news sources.
- Assign duties to and guide reporters attached to the news desk in sourcing news, features etc.
- Maintain an up to date diary of major events and news of interest in all RMS radio stations, website and social media platforms as well as preparing a schedule of assignments.
- Ensure stories aired conform to journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style.
- Prepare quality stories and features, ensuring they are topical, balanced, informative, credible and analytical.
- Prepare commentaries, conduct live and recorded interviews.
- Ensure output is delivered within budget, and in the most cost effective manner possible.
Skills and Personal attribute
- Have a good command of English and Kiswahili. ( Attach Swahili and English voice demo)
- Strong writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and passion for news.
- Ability to work odd hours.
- Clear understanding of media laws and ethics.
- Self driven, assertive, punctual and organized.
- Must have a nose for news, broad and strategic thinker and pay attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate a professional approach and appearance including enthusiasm, drive, commitment, honesty, trust, loyalty and keep abreast with evolving trends.
Academic and professional experience
- A university degree in journalism / mass communication or related field from a recognized university.
- At least 8 years’ experience in a reputable newsroom, and at least two years as editor.
If you are interested and qualified, please email your CV, Application Letter to [email protected] by 26th January, 2018 clearly indicating on the subject, JOB REF NO –HRD-NE-01-2018. Hardcopies will not be accepted
The letter should be addressed to;
THE HR DIRECTOR
ROYAL MEDIA SERVICES
PO BOX 7468-00300
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.